Samuel

2011.256.038

Core
Title: 
The Essex Company on the Merrimack at Lawrence
Title (generic): 
Book
Accession No. : 
Alt ID: 
47024143
Description: 

This book contains a history of the Essex Company in Lawrence from the early 1840s until 1936. It covers the formation of the Essex Company, the building of the dam, information about Charles Storrow, the canal, contracts with mills, the planning of the city, and the career of Hiram Mills. There is an insert in the book with a note written to the stockholders of the Essex Company.

Collection: 
Barry Flynn Essex Company Collection
Author: 
Smith, F. Morton
Publisher: 
New York: The Newcomen Society of England American Branch
Date (created): 
1947
Format: 
32 p. incl. front. (port.) illus. 23 cm.
Language: 
English
Rights: 
This book is owned by the Lawrence History Center, but copyright may be held by another business or organization. Please contact the Center for more information.
Administrative
Location: 
2nd Floor Stacks - Library
Condition: 
Excellent
Display Value: 
Excellent
Cataloged By: 
Williams, Jenn
Cataloged On: 
Tue, 2012-02-21
Status: 
OK

2011.256.028

Core
Title: 
The Civil War Through the Camera, Part 1
Title (generic): 
Book
Accession No. : 
Description: 

This book describes the beginning of the Civil War in 1861. The different parts of the book are: Records of the War Between the States and Bull Run - The Volunteers Face Fire. There is a great emphasis on the statistics of the Civil War, the call for volunteers to fight at the beginning of the war, and the intricacies of the battle at Bull Run. There are many images of battlefields, forts, weapons, New York, public officials, soldiers, and camps.

Collection: 
Barry Flynn Essex Company Collection
Author: 
Elson, Henry W.
Publisher: 
Springfield: Patriot Publishing Co.
Date (created): 
1912
Date (coverage): 
1861
Format: 
10.5" x 7.75"
Language: 
English
Rights: 
This book is owned by the Lawrence History Center, but copyright may be held by another business or organization. Please contact the Center for more information.
Administrative
Location: 
2nd Floor Stacks - Library
Condition: 
Fair
Condition Notes: 

Some pages are falling out.

Display Value: 
Excellent
Cataloged By: 
Williams, Jenn
Cataloged On: 
Tue, 2012-02-21
Status: 
OK

2011.032.024

Core
Title: 
Postcard featuring Image of Samuel Phillips Jr.
Title (generic): 
Postcard
Accession No. : 
Description: 

Postcard containing an image of Samuel Phillips Jr., the founder of Phillips Academy. The portrait used came from the Addison Gallery of American Art, located at Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts. The postcard does not contain a message and it appears that it was never sent in the mail.

Collection: 
Guy Pennisi Collection
Format: 
3.5" x 5.5"
Rights: 
The Lawrence History Center holds all intellectual property and legal rights to this image. For information concerning publication rights and copyright status please contact the Center.
Administrative
Location: 
2nd Floor - Media Vault - Postcard Box
Image Catalog: 
LP3-People
Original/Copy: 
Original
Condition: 
Good
Condition Notes: 

Slight bend in bottom-right corner.

Display Value: 
Good
Cataloged By: 
Kieran, Brendan
Cataloged On: 
Thu, 2012-01-26
Status: 
OK

1998.036.040

Core
Title: 
Samuel G. Blood, 1st Lieutenant - Groton
Title (generic): 
Photograph
Accession No. : 
Description: 

Samuel G. Blood, First Lieutenant, 37, Groton. Second Lieutenant in three months, 1861. Accidentally wounded with pistol September 30, 1862; Deserted House on January 30, 1863 in Navy, 1864.

Collection: 
Lawrence History Center General Photograph Collection
Rights: 
The Lawrence History Center holds all intellectual property and legal rights to this image. For information concerning publication rights and copyright status please contact the Center.
Administrative
Location: 
2nd Floor - Media Vault - "Small Photographs" Box 2
Image Catalog: 
LM2-Military
Original/Copy: 
Original
Condition: 
Excellent
Display Value: 
Excellent
Cataloged By: 
Matta, Laura
Cataloged On: 
Thu, 2011-11-10
Status: 
OK
People: 

Hours

Tue–Fri: 9am-4pm
Sat: By appt
Sun-Mon: Closed

Address & Phone

6 Essex Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
978-686-9230
Directions

Social Media

Mission

Founded in 1978 as the Immigrant City Archives, the mission of the Lawrence History Center is to collect, preserve, share, and animate the history and heritage of Lawrence and its people.